The Friends of the Hyde Park Branch Library was established in 1981 and is a federally recognized 501(c)(3) organization . It was established to support adult and children’s programs at the Hyde Park Branch Library. We regularly support:
- a successful outdoor summer concert series
- indoor musical entertainment and speaker programs
- children’s story tellers and entertainers
- snacks for teen programs
- ongoing books sale
- Chess and Checkers with Charley
The Hyde Park Friends have also
- purchased craft materials for ongoing programs
- supplemented the branch’s book and DVD collections, and
- replaced worn out equipment.
- In 2019, received Boston Community Preservation funds for a Hyde Park Historical Garden to be located on the Everett Street side of the Library. Two figures from the 1915 train station will be cleaned and installed as local art. A foundation stone from the 1985 St. Catherine School in the Fairmont area, will also be part of the garden . Benches will be added.
We anticipate more requests from the library staff for supplies and financial support of programs because of annual budget cuts and increases in programming fees. We also see a need for more programs because of the increase in the number and diversity of people using the library.
Please consider supporting the library by:
- renewing a lapsed membership,
- giving a gift membership,
- making a donation,
- volunteering a few hours a month by working on a Friends committee.