In the Spring of 2019, Menino Hall was closed to the public because of continual water infiltration into the building. This affected programming for children, ESL classes, and the Friends’ annual booksale.
Repair was approved in the July 2019 budget with plans for completion before June 2020. The Covid virus pandemic was just one of the delaying factors.
Boston’s Public Facilities says ‘ Right now the contractor is saying he will be complete by end of November but this needs to be reviewed and verified’ BPL administration says that the branch will open in 2021.
Let’s hope that Mercury, who is overseeing the project, will speed it along and the library will open this year as a pick up and drop off location.
In 2019, the Friends of the Hyde Park Library received community preservation funds to transform an unused area of open public space at the Hyde Park Library into a passive park incorporating artifacts of historical significance to the local community.
In 1835, the Boston and Providence Railroad Company laid tracks through Hyde Park toward Boston. By 1845 there was an unofficial stop at what is now considered downtown HP. A station was built at track level in 1848. As industry, business and the population grew, railroads expanded for both personal travel and for quicker and wider distribution of manufactured good. In the 1890’s the New York, New Haven & Harford Railroad (NYNH&H RR, or New Haven for short) acquired most of the routes in southern New England.
Because of this growth and potential, Hyde Park’s selectmen and the Businessmen’s Council negotiated with the New Haven to finance a larger station. After many delays, including Hyde Park’s annexation to Boston in 1912, the station opened on April 14, 1914.
The station was built of steel and stucco, had a tiled roof with ornamental trimmings and a figure of Mercury, the Greek god of transportation and commerce, at each upper corner.
The Hyde Park Gazette-Times reported on April 15,1914 that “The new building is one of the finest and most modern along the New Haven Road. It is finished in cement and marble with aluminum filled woodwork. Passengers can remain in the upper waiting room and see the approaching train in ample time to descend to the lower level. As the new station forms a bridge spanning the tracks it relieves what has been a long continued inconvenience by enabling passengers to cross from one side to the other while sheltered during the inclement weather.”
Credit: Archives & Special Collections, University of Connecticut
Railroad service declined in the Twentieth Century with the expanded use of airplanes, automobiles, and other forms of transportation. Railroad companies reduced losses by discontinuing lightly used routes, closing stations, and doing minimal maintenance on stations still open. By 1973, the waiting room and ticket office of the Hyde Park station were closed and there were only 2 inbound and 3 outbound trips on weekdays. At that time, unused stations across the country were being demolished with little or no consideration for historic preservation. (Notes from Thomas J. Humphrey).
The station was razed on April 9, 1974. Thanks to the efforts of HP resident Edward Gonski, two of the figures of Mercury were salvaged and donated to the Hyde Park Branch of the Boston Public Library where they have lain for more than 45 years.
With help from project management staff at the Boston Public Library, and Daedalus Inc., architecture conservators, the figures of Mercury made from concrete and red sandstone were cleaned, stabilized, and installed in the garden.
All photographs of artifacts cleaned and installed in the garden with CPA funds were taken by Jim LaFond-Lewis.
Also included in the historic garden is a granite foundation stone from a school in the Most Precious Blood Parish. The main school, St. Raphael’s, was completed in 1888 and was across the street from the church on Maple Street and Oak Street.
In 1895, Thomas Corrigan built the foundation for a 4-room satellite parish school, also named St. Raphael’s, on the corner of Washington Street and Foster Street. Foster Street was later renamed Chittick Road to recognize Monsignor James J. Chittick for his service, love, and generosity to the community. It is believed that he purchased the land for the school from donations received from grateful parishioners upon his return from convalescence.
In 1920, the name of this school was changed to St. Catherine’s, in honor of Mother Catherine Spaulding, the Superior of the school’s teaching order of nuns. In 1954, it was renamed St Pius X School, transferred to that parish, and eventually demolished in 1966.
The foundation stone from St. Catherine’s was saved from demolition by Attorney William Slattery Sr., an alumnus and a committee member for the school’s 50th anniversary in 1946. The stone was donated to the Hyde Park Historical Society by Virginia Foley, a student at St Catherine’s.
Thomas and John Corrigan were brothers who immigrated from Ireland and settled in the area in the 1870’s. They began as laborers and their business grew into separate contracting companies. They owned numerous properties and built hundreds of foundations in the Hyde Park area, including in Corriganville, so named because of their work in the area and the property they owned in this sparsely settled part of town.
Thomas Corrigan was a generous contributor to the church during and after his life. He was proud of his heritage and very content with his life in America. He was often heard saying that America was the greatest country on earth. This sentiment is evident in the carvings on the foundation stone. Described as folk art, the flag and maple trees are symbolic of the area and country he loved.
Sometime before the Spring of 2021 benches will be added to the area.
If you would like a briefer pdf pamphlet about this project send an email to: email@example.com
“There’s a lot more to the Hub of the Universe than the Freedom Trail and the Tea Party. Every week, HUB History hosts Jake and Nikki share a fascinating story from the long history of Boston. Sometimes, there are uplifting stories, like the life of Dr. Rebecca Crumpler, who became America’s first black female doctor.
Along with the main story, every episode includes an upcoming historical event in the Boston area, as well as a segment called Boston Book Club, featuring books, articles, websites, and other podcasts. Join Jake and Nikki for a new episode every Sunday at about 6pm (EST/EDT), then check the show notes for each episode at HUBhistory.com for historic images, maps, and primary sources”.
Click on this link for Episode #200 that features Dr. Rebecca Crumpler and her husband Arthur Crumpler.
After listening to this I am sure you’ll be a HUBHistory regular. Please support this programming by becoming a patron or by making a donation.
Organizations in Hyde Park, including the Friends of the Hyde Park Library and the Hyde Park Historical Society, have successfully completed a project to erect gravestones for Rebecca Lee Crumpler and her husband, Arthur, in the Fairview Cemetery. Rebecca Crumpler, 1831-95, was the first African American woman doctor, a graduate of the New England Female Medical College, and is honored on the Boston Women’s Heritage Trail’s Beacon Hill Walk and Charlestown trail. After 1880, she and her husband moved to Hyde Park. It was known that they were buried in Fairview Cemetery but there were no monuments marking their graves. Volunteers solicited funds to cover the cost of gravestones and now those stones have been placed on the graves.
This is the text for the 2 sided memorial card for the gravestone dedication for Dr. Rebecca Crumpler and Arthur Crumpler. The card be available at the Hyde Park Library and the office at the Fairview Cemetery when the buildings are again open to the public. If you would like a card before then, please send an email with your name and address.
This piece of folk art includes Thomas Corrigan’s representation of the American flag, representing the adopted country he loved, and maple trees which grew in the Hyde Park area where he lived and worked.
Jim Lafond-Lewis photographed the artifacts after their installation.
An official dedication of the garden will take place after the library is open to the public, and benches have been added. A brochure about the history of the artifacts will be available in the library and and on this website.
The front page of the Boston Globe had a very well written and touching story about Rebecca and Arthur Crumpler, and how the grave stone dedication came to be. Globe staff reporter Brian MacQuarrie, did phone interviews for background material and attended the event on Thursday, July 16, 2020 at Fairview Cemetery.
On Saturday morning, Patty who purchased the Globe in Shop & Shop, felt she wanted to find the grave site for the remarkable couple from the article. She mentioned that she had shown the article to a young Black woman in the checkout line who also said she would plan to read more and go to the cemetery.
The grave sites are on Aspen Avenue which is to the left of the flag pole near the Fairview Cemetery office. Drive/walk down to the 5th tree on the right and you will see the back of the grave stones slightly up an incline. (A-90, A-91)
Professional photographs by Jim laFond-Lewis will be posted in the near future.
Glorious day at Fairview Cemetery, thanks to many donations which made this event possible. Because of Covid precautions we did not have a large public gathering. Details and professional photos in another post. These photos were taken by Thien Simpson from Hyde Park Main Streets.
Overview of Rebecca Crumpler’s life – Victoria Gall
Historic significance and today’s relevance – Dr. Joan Reede, Dean for diversity and community partnership, Harvard Medical School
About Arthur Crumpler – Journalist, Attorney Anthony Neal
Blessing of grave stones and significance of the historic 12th Baptist church – Senior Pastor Reverend Arthur T. Gerald, Jr.
Special recognition for the the 54th Massachusetts Voluntary Infantry Regiment and the Boston Police Academy graduating class 59-19.
Details to follow.
Look for an article about the event in the Sunday Boston Globe on 7/19/2020, and be sure to watch NBC Nightly News (6:30 ET) as well. The local community newspaper, The Bulletin, will also run the story on 7/23.
When you go to Fairview Cemetery, drive in past the office and stay to the left of the flag pole. The grave sites are 5 trees ahead on the right.